August 21, 2016

I won't shrink

I just wanted to share an experience I had earlier today.

I've been having a little bit of a hard time these past couple of days. I have to keep my mind really strong or I start comparing myself to others or feeling that I'm bad or not good enough because of the way my mission turned out. Everyone has their own challenges, and right now, mine is learning to be ok with the fact that I came home early.

I had a friend tell me about a devotional that Elder Bednar gave called, "That We Might Not Shrink." It talks about how it is important not to "shrink" when facing trials. Elder Bednar describes shrinking as retreating or recoiling. I learned that it is so important to face your trials head on, and face them with faith. 

Jesus Christ knows us better than we know ourselves, and he knows what we need. I realized that I need to have greater faith and to accept the Lord's will for me. I need to move forward with confidence in the lord and confidence in myself.

Elder Bednar talks about a time where Bruce C. Hafen was going through chemotherapy. Before one of his treatments he said to his wife, "I just don't want to shrink." That line is so powerful to me. I as well do NOT want to shrink during this trial of my faith, and so I won't. I want to come out of this with a stronger testimony and greater trust in my brother, Jesus Christ, and my Heavenly Father. 

I love the Lord, and I know that he is looking out for me as well as every single one of his children. He is mindful of us all, and that's so comforting to me. We are never alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment